Swing in the Moon with Richard Poon at Paseo del Sol

The Tuna Festival is the time when performers from Manila come in droves to strut their stuff and help enliven even more this yearly tribute to GenSan’s Tuna, held in commemoration of the city’s charter anniversary.

It’s also that period when both the government and private sectors come together in doing their share to up the ante when it comes to providing entertainment to the “generals” (as people here call themselves).

For Paseo del Sol Events, owners of Ranchero Grill, they have booked no less than the Philippines’ current hottest big band crooner Richard Poon himself in a DINNER SHOW billed as “Swing in the Moon with Richard Poon“.

Swing in the Moon with Richard Poon, the Poster

Touted as this generation’s Jose Mari Chan, Richard Poon whose mother is an opera singer from Taiwan and whose father is a famous basketball player and cook from HongKong, sings mostly “50s standards” which he reinvent and given a fresh take.  He calls his music “FRESH OLD-SCHOOL“.

Richard released his first 13-track solo-album last February 2008 “I’ll Take Care of You” under MCA Music containing his livelier and more upbeat versions of songs popularized by Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Matt Monro, Harry Connick Jr. and others of their class.

But he doesn’t stop at that however.  Other than arranging his own music with his pianist Osen Fernando, he also does “big band arrangements” of current hits like “Irreplaceable”, “My All”, “Umbrella”, “My Girl”, among others with his 4-piece jazz band.

He is also a composer having penned the song “Lalala” from the soundtrack of the Piolo Pascual and Regine Velasquez starrer, “Paano Kita Iibigin” and “Kahit Di Mo Napapansin” from the current ABS-CBN teleserye hit, “My Girl“.

Less than a year old in local showbiz, Richard Poon has already been nominated twice in the 2008 Awit Awards for Best Male Artist (against Garvy V, Martin Nievera and Jose Mari Chan) and Best New Male Artist, testaments to his excellence as a performing artist.

So what are you waiting for?

To experience the man, his music and his artistry during the Tuna Festival, buy your tickets now to “Swing in the Moon with Richard Poon” at Ranchero Grill priced at only P1,500.  Or  better still, call telephone numbers (083) 553-9298, 301-9298, and 0906-5788548.

Source:  Richard Poon’s Multiply Site

Tagged , , , ,

Related Posts

Comments

1. Samara says:

WaaaHhhh. Richard Poon is pure Taiwanese ba? (Never heard of Him) (Cz, I’ve been living under the rock) Hekhek. Palibhasa, di mahilig sa TV. OMG. Anyways, I wonder how I would be able to come and watch the Dinner Show. (Gate Crash siguro?) Hehehe.

Samaras last blog post..Mang Gorio Bahay Kainan

2. bariles says:

Originally Posted By Samara

Samaras last blog post..Mang Gorio Bahay Kainan

i think he’s a pinoy with chinese parents.. am not really sure. I would love to watch his show because I always get to see him at ASAP. The problem is, ang dami nyang kasabay na mga shows rin.

How can we watch them all during the Tuna Fest? 🙁

3. Nate says:

Madami pa lang shows during the TUna FEst? I mean shows like this one. Oh well, hindi ata papatok ung self-produced show ko on mentalism kung ganun.. Buti na lang I managed to open this post… Thanks!!!

4. jm_21052000 says:

Mr. Avel, ano pa po ba ibang shows sa tuna festival aside ke Richard Poon? me food na bang kasama ang 1,500? i’m interested, he’s one of my idol kasi… =P

5. Lynn says:

It would be nice to watch his show ’cause he’s not just an extraordinary singer but super cute too. Hehe.

Lynns last blog post..Gary V. In His 25th Year

6. ache says:

Don’t miss the fun! Pao Sunglao, the energetic and creative marketing guy of Ranchero said the show and dinner are both full-packed! Local musicians and dancers will also be featured :-)Food as expected will be superb! So will you be my date?

7. orman says:

kaasar naman nito… sept 4 is the MISS GENSAN PAGEANT NIGHT… grrr… di ko sya mapapanood!!!!

8. Toinks says:

@Samara – Mr. Poon is a pure blooded Chinese man…na may pusong Pinoy. O diba? 🙂

9. gensanite says:

i first saw/heard RICHARD POON as one of the members and bandleader of “U Turn”, which is an acoustic group a few years back – probably 2003… not really sure… he played the guitar for the acoustic group, and had a former member of ‘Vanna Vanna’ (formerly ‘FOJ’ from back in the early 90’s) as their vocalist… they released the song ‘Hurting Inside’ which was done by ‘FOJ’ back in the day… he also sang a couple of songs for the group…

his voice is exceptional… quite unique so to speak… just right for his new repertoire of ‘classics’…

it’s a must watch for those who dig jazz and the standards… 🙂

enjoy ya’ll…

p.s.
    bumabalik ang pagka-deejay ko… jejeje… 🙂
    man, i miss radio… 🙂

10. bariles says:

Originally Posted By Nate

hi nate! you could have coordinated earlier with the tuna festival council so that they can support your show and give you the needed financial backup. sayang! 🙂

11. bariles says:

Originally Posted By jm_21052000

Hi jm! Welcome to Bariles Republic. As indicated in the poster, it is a dinner show so P1500 will guarantee you a seat plus dinner. I advice you to buy your ticket now because I heard that it’s selling like hotcakes. 🙂

12. bariles says:

Originally Posted By Lynn

Lynns last blog post..Gary V. In His 25th Year

hi Lynn! Heehehehe! You’re right there. He looks like an actor from a Koreanovela or Chinovela. Plus, he can sing pa so murag F4! hEHEHE! 🙂

13. Rue Ramas says:

Ito ang excellent poster! Simple pero kitang-kita!!!!

14. bea says:

the idea of bringing Richard Poon to GenSan is so nice. Nice Music + Great FOOd = Extraordinary! =)

15. Rammyboi says:

I’ve been to the opening of Paseo del Sol. The preparation was really superb. Mr. Jeffrey Paolo Sunglao, really put his sweat and blood on it. I know this event would be great too… especially when it is prepared by Pao. He’s been my classmate since elementary til high school 🙂 I knew him that long and I am happy to see his skills in organizing events really improved. 🙂 Plus, the food’s great 🙂 Hope you could check it out guys! ^_^

16. Nate Marx says:

Hehehe..Ganun ba sayang naman. huhuhuhu.

I am still danggling the logistics for my show… Hopefully it will push through…Move ko na lang siguro on Mid September para ala kompetenxa (if ever man na may interesado manud) marketing this craft in a medium sized city is hard unlike sa ibang cities like Davao and CDO. But then, may potential pa rin na magboom to sa Gensan at least Gensan has his own street magician and mentalist..hehehe….

Rest assured I am excited to perform on MBS2. Kel told me na baka makapunta xa dito for MBS2, sana matuloy xa para at least makaperform ako together with my mentor.

@Rammyboi… Mario Pison kaw ba yan??? si Jonathan to..hehehe.. Andito ka na pala gensan?

17. mon says:

Hi Guys,

Di po ako taga Gensan but Im dropping by to say Hi!
    Gusto ko rin si Richard Poon, kaya post din ako ng comment… hehehehe
    uhmm. Richard Poon earned his Business Management Degree at La Salle. His Both Parents are Taiwanese but he grew up hir at Pinas. His Father is a Entrepreneur who owns “Little Poon”(check it out at Baga Berde Pasig if you have time visiting Manila) at ang knyang Mother ay isang Taiwanese Superstar.;o)

Daming beses ko narin siyang napanuod live and have a chance to meet him personally……. He is really nice at talagang maganda ang boses niya… if you dont have his 13track album try to grab one, standard songs with his modern renditions….

HAPPY TUNA FESTIVAL SA INYONG LAHAT!!!!!!
    Good Luck And God Bless!!!!

Oiiissssttt… watch niyo siya jan s dinner show niya, for sure solve ang inyong gabi…..

Till next tym… ;o)

18. gensanite says:

@mon

hello, MON…

hope you can visit GenSan in the near future… 🙂

cheers!!!

19. mon says:

@gensanite

Next time I’ll visit your place, I’ll include it in my itenerary by next year. Can you tell me what places I can visit at your place, Im a beach lover and nature lover… hope you can advise.

Thanks for the invitation;o)

20. gensanite says:

@mon

hello, MON…

General Santos City is dubbed as, “the gateway of SoCSarGen”… it’s pretty much a 3-in-1 deal… we have a lot of resorts in the city which can accomodate your every whim… the city is quite laid back, hence, you do not really have to worry about traffic… if you’re the “water-lover”, we have “freshwater” (rivers/springs) and “saltwater” (beaches) options to offer… BARILES posted some in his previous entries… you can also enjoy a tranquil island like balut, or enjoy the white beaches of Saranggani Province in Gumasa, Glan… The Saranggani Province can also hook you up with water-tubing if you’re interested… If you want to delve in nature’s wonders, you can probably contact a mountaineering group and join them in their sojourn to majestic Mount Matutum… You can also go further and enjoy the culture of the T’boli’s and the freshest tilapia ever… you can also enjoy the freshest adn juiciest pineapples this side of the country, when you would drop by fruit stands near the Dole Philippines plantation…

Once you’re already in GenSan, you will have options of where to go… this blog featured some of BARILES’ escapades… he imbibed very useful tips and information on places to go and see… you can probably contact Bariles, and he can hook you up with his contacts in the tourism sector… 🙂

Godspeed!!!

21. jm_21052000 says:

hello, gensanite, don’t forget Saranggani Highlands.. hehe it’s a nice place too… 🙂

22. mon says:

@gensanite

Thank you. 🙂

23. jm_21052000 says:

24. gensanite says:

@jm_21052000

oo nga pala… it’s a romantic venue…:)

thanks, JM… 🙂

25. therese86 says:

my gosh! it was a great show… plus! richard poon is super cute 😀

26. jm_21052000 says:

Originally Posted By jm_21052000who i was there when he performed at paso del sol, kagabi.. hehe sobrang galing tlg, sana bumalik uli siya… IDOL ko na siya men! 🙂

PASEO del SOL i mean.. hehe 🙂

27. therese86 says:

jm, which song did you like best? 🙂

28. jm_21052000 says:

@therese86 – sa show niya ba last sept. 4 sa paseo? uhmmmm, “i’ll take care of you”, actually lahat eh, i love the way he sing. sana nga lang kinanta niya rin “Goodbye” it’s a great song too even if malungkot yung meanig ng song…

were you there during his show? 🙂

29. mon says:

@jm_21052000

hi JM…. did he sang the di ko kayang tanggapin-remember medley?
    Thats cute….. he gave life to those songs… actually tatlo un… di ko sure ung isa… hehehehe

30. jm_21052000 says:

@mon – yup! he sang it mon, it’s really cool 🙂 yeah, tatlo nga un, all april boy’s songs, hehehe. mas maganda rendition niya ng mga songs, hehe… where did you hear him singing that song? 🙂

31. mon says:

@jm_21052000
    Actually he sang that song last May on his Concert…
    and I think it was the most requested song sa mga gigs nya after. 🙂
    mmm… Meron narin syang rendition ng My Way and it is good… ;o)

32. jm_21052000 says:

@mon – i see, sana gumawa rin siya ng christmas album… bagay genre ng mga kinakanta niya dun… hehe

33. mon says:

@jm_21052000
    I’ll try to check with him if he will be doing one. I’ll update you soon. 😉

34. jm_21052000 says:

@mon – thanks mon! =) uhmmm, have a friendster account? can i add you there? hehe

35. mon says:

@jm_21052000
    yeah sure…. here’s my add dnomyar_v@yahoo.com ;o)

36. […] at Bariles Republic when it opened with a bang and once again in August when it featured balladeer Richard Poon in a dinner […]

37. […] the newer and classier fine-dining establishments in General Santos City. It once hosted balladeer Richard Poon in a dinner concert through its Pablo’s Steaks and Crabs which was quite a succes that […]

38. […] Richard Poon, who was their first major artist two years back, they have now gotten the services of Bossa Nova […]

39. […] 3nd solo outing at the Tuna Capital since his first one sometime in 2008 at the Paseo del Sol (read it here) and the latest at KCC Events and Convention Center in January 2011 (read it […]

SMART WELCOME CHANGE