Sunday, April 20, 2014

Cheap Flights from Philippine Airlines: Davao-GenSan at P10 all-in!!

Posted on by in with 46 Comments

Yes!  You read it right!

As the title of the post says, there are really Cheap Flights from Philippines Airlines starting from P10.00 all in,  and one of these is the Davao-GenSan-Davao route.  The catch is, you will have to travel via TIME MACHINE to get them because they were offered ages ago.

The year?  1961.

During that time when the Philippines was still in equal footing to Japan in terms of economic wealth and prosperity and the term OFW was unheard of, cheap flights from the country’s only airline was the order of the day.  Since the dollar exchange rate was only P2.02 then,  a lot of Filipinos were jetsetters, doing their shopping in Europe, and in the United States of America.

Although there were fewer local flights that time, the available ones were priced at amounts that will make you salivate for the old days !  In the early 1960s, the only way to travel to Davao from GenSan and vice-versa was to go around what is now Sultan Kudarat and make your way out via North Cotabato.  Since the roads were still unpaved, a one-way trip would take more than 12 hours.  But then, Philippine Airlines were offering quicker Davao-GenSan and GenSan-Davao flights, and they really come cheap!

The scanned images of the plane tickets below are proof of the cheap flights from Philippine Airlines that time.  These are the Davao-GenSan plane tickets of my parents, Avelino and Maria which they used in May 9, 1961, after their honeymoon in Davao City.  They were married three days before that in May 6, 1961 at the Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage Parish Church, which was then a new parish.

Tomorrow, May 6, 2009 would have been their 48th Wedding Anniversary.  This post is dedicated to them.

doc-4095

Ticket Issued to my mother, costing P10 only, from Davao to GenSan

Dad's Cheap Davao-GenSan Plane Fare

Ticket issued to my father for the Philippine Airlines Davao-GenSan route

280px-pal86

Tagged , , , ,

46 thoughts on “Cheap Flights from Philippine Airlines: Davao-GenSan at P10 all-in!!

• bariles Post author

@dimple, thanks! My mom kept these. And they were turned over to me. :)

@MiGs, hahahaha! Gotcha koya! Thanks my friend! :)

1. Bobby T.

even if PAL offered it today, i still won’t bite, knowing how tikasan PAL is. they can eat all my mabuhay miles, i don’t care. ilaha na lang

besides, i’d rather drive from iligan via carmen-kabacan-marbel then gensan, than drive to davao, leave my car there, then fly to gensan.

har har har!!!

but, nice find there, avel!

Bobby T.s last blog post..3-in-1, anyone?

• bariles Post author

@Bobby T., is that you? Hehehe! I could just imagine how long that trip would be considering the many stops you would take along the way to capture anything you fancy with your camera. Thanks for your comments Bob. Been a long time. Woot! :)

• bariles Post author

@gilbert, hey, I haven’t thought of that! One thing I know is that, I came out eight (8) months after in January at the old Posadas Clinic in downtown Dadiangas.
      And yes, I do remember Air Manila. Gosh! Historians rule!!!! :)

• bariles Post author

@sarah, now that i got your attention, pahingi pictures ko nung nagplurk fiesta tayo ni ambassador. Hehehe!

@Robstroy, thanks! For the sake of art…. hahaha! :)

2. Kerslyn

hayts, na-excite pa naman ako. kunyari daw kukuha kami ng round trip para ma-visit na rin bestfriend ko jan sa GenSan. so nice that those memorabilias were kept in the baul. same din pala ng wedding anniversary parents natin. :-)

• bariles Post author

@richard, i hope someone comes up with a kidapawan-gensan flight soon too. That will excite you even more. Hehehe! :)

3. gensanite

vintage eto… collector’s item in the making… hehehe… museum na lang ang kulang mo, KUY… super “old school” kaayo… :)

• bariles Post author

@gensanite, the tickets are really that, vintage collector’s item. Hmmm…. I wonder how much they are worth now? (joke) That would be sacrilege. :)

4. Hecky

I WONDER how powerful our Philippine economy during those ages…
    the ticket memorabilias of PAL is an evidence to learn our great GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT nation LONG TIME AGO

how i wish i can fly into the future seeing our NATION a strong ECONOMY and the term OFW will be unheard again.

thanks manoy Avel for such wonderful memories of your parents.

• bariles Post author

@Hecky, we can still make it happen as long as we have people who have not lost faith and hope in the Filipino. We just need somebody who can awaken that “spark” for total change. A local Obama perhaps? Manny Pacquiao? Who knows? It could even be you or me! :)

• bariles Post author

@sheng, we can still dream for that to happen. Walang bayad daw ang mangarap ganda! hahaha! Thanks for being here sheng. :)

5. JessQ

Waaaahhhh…sabi ko na nga ba eh…mero’ng something “fishy” somewhere!!

Congratulations to your mom, Avel. She must have been working with the National Archives or had been a librarian before. She keeps precious gems in place very well.

Thanks for the excellent post here my friend. Most of all, thanks for this post, coz I’ve discovered Bobby T who had been a coffee guru, I learned.

JessQs last blog post..Swine Flu (Influenza) Evolves Rapidly

• bariles Post author

@JessQ, you are very much welcome! Mommy kept everything that she deemed may be important in the future, especially old memorabilia. Luckily, she was able to instill in me the same habit. I am so thankful for that. Bobby Timonera was here last year for the 2nd Mindanao Bloggers Summit where I asked him to be a resource speaker. We were so honored with his presence. I have yet to sip his own coffee concoction though and I am looking forward to it. :)

6. Daxi Weida

Kuya, was the airport at that time already the one in Buayan? What type of plane kaya yan ‘no? I remember tuloy my first flight was also out of Buayan on board a PAL turboprop (Fokker 50 yata or YS-11) in the year (never mind, hehe)… Anyway, great memorabilia! Makes me want to dig into my father’s baul also! Regards. :)

• bariles Post author

@Daxi, yes, that’s the first airport here in GenSan. I also have old pictures taken from there. :)

@Kikay, we could think of so many funny stories about the Davao-GenSan-Davao route. Super lapit kasi eh…hahaha! :)

@Amie, I hope maaabutan pa natin ang mga araw na iyan. Thanks my dear. :)

7. Kikay

For you to keep that is really touching. If you think about it, P 10 in 1961 is a lot of money. Imagine din ang flight, tipong “good morning, we would like to welcome you on this flight to Davao on Philippine Air Lines (sabi sa ticket). Our cabin crew will demonstrate…. Oops… we are already starting our initial descent.”

8. Amie

Hehehe! na curious din ako sa title pa lang…it’s amazing na your mommy had kept these things. I also remember my father used to go to davao in the late 60′s by plane. I just don’t know if naitago din nila kahit isa man lang sa mga tickets nila…Kailan kaya makakabalik ang bayan natin sa dati niyang kinalalagyan in terms of economy?

9. BrAvO SiX

it’s a priceless collection….

that 10 peso airfare ticket will be gem someday…

keep it sir…

10. Emz

Heheheehe naatik pod ko oy! Pero ok ha, is your mother was once a principal in Buayan or some schools??? I remember that in my elementary days (i had six schools then)From Buayan,Maribulan,Bayan in Townsite to Dadiangas East so i cant really remember which school if she was a principal then. At you know i was just coming from vacation in our GENSAN! I was very happy and enjoy kahit laging umuulan kada hapon. For the past two years i’ve been here in abroad ang daming nabago sa atin. Pero may napansin ako na di nagbago, ang traffic light sa Pioneer Ave. Nakakaconfuse!!lalo na sa mga pedestrian, di mo alam kung kailan ka tatawid kasi nakagreen(for the pedestrian) pero may tumatakbo pa rin na sasakyan, tapos pag naka-red (for the pedestrian)naman walang sasakyan. Well anyway regards to all!
    Next year again makikita ko na naman ang GENSAN!

11. bambi

wow Vel sobra ka ha, na excite mo ako kala ko naman now ito. Uwi kasi kami dyan sa july and planning to go davao with george and the kids. hope to see you

12. bariles Post author

@bambi, hi! You can still take the gensan-cebu-davao para class! Hehehe! See you very soon! Don’t forget my Oil of Olay. Hehehe!

@Emily, sorry! Hehehe! But thanks for dropping by and being a good sport. :)

@Josh, you are right there! It could barely give you a decent meal even.
    Thanks for commenting here. :)

13. ivy

haha. maybe wala pang nice road to gensan from davao so better fly instead. But if it were offered today, absurd! mahal pa yung terminal fee kung sakali.

ivys last blog post..GIG Run 2009